Thursday, April 10, 2014

THRIVING THURSDAY

 

Happy Pondering day people!   photo image13_zps64a48e1e.png

I am so happy that Brenda has brought back her Pondering on Thursday. She left a gap that I am glad to fill.

Today' prompt is Novel

I think this is a novel idea. Taking a word and pondering over its uses and meanings. I read lots of novels in between my knitting projects and hope to some day write one. I have also discovered non-fiction books since I retired. I have even been asked to review a few.

One of my best exercises is walking to the local library where I can find books I have never heard of. I also keep a list of recommended books from the bloggers that I visit. Our local retiree chapter also has a book exchange which I thoroughly enjoy. There are always books in our house.

When I cruise i always visit the library on board and get to know the librarian. I join the book club that they organize. I was so busy on the last cruise that I only read the 2 books we studied on the cruise. The one was called “Lacuna” by Barbara Kingsolver. I was one of the only members of the group to like this book. I think I enjoyed it because I saw it from  a Canadian perspective. The other book was by a welsh writer named Richard Glynn. It was set in Barcelona and was a mystery. Can’t say it was a favourite and I would never have picked it up to read however I am glad I had the opportunity.

Books are very important in our house. The grandchildren appreciate them. They love to know that the stories Grammy reads are the ones their father heard when he was a little boy. I have a set of books written by a Cruise Captain that stay at our house for all of the grandchildren.

I have strayed away from the novel concept however it is wonderful to be able to ponder with Brenda again.