Sunday, November 9, 2014

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My Family

I am the eldest daughter of Ken and Dorothy. I might be something of a miracle baby as my mother had been told she would never have children. She laboured long and hard for me. When I arrived my father called my maternal grandmother to tell her I was in this world. When he called the farm at least 10 people answered the phone because it was a party line. ( Was I destined to work for the telephone company?). My middle name is for my grandmother.

I have a sister Pat who is 18 months younger than me. I say “I taught her everything she learned”. She won an award at school because I had 2 babies while she was studying to be a doctor.  She also loves raisin toast because I traded my toast for her bottle.  She is married to her husband Tony for 37 years and she has 3 children and 2 grandchildren.

My brother Doug came a long one week after my father started his own business. My mother was the secretary and kept it running. My brother later went on to own his own business as well.  He is married to a wonderful woman named Sao and has 4 girls and 3 grandchildren.

Five years later my youngest sister Barbara was born. I was nine years old and she was my baby. To this day she thinks of me as her mother as well. She is a business woman for the telephone company and she actually got me my first job after my own children were old enough for me to return to  the workforce. She is married to her husband John and has 2 girls and 1 grandson and another due in December.

Here we are on a trip to the local park:

img090

 

Next Week’s Prompt: Most Influential Person

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.