Tuesday, April 16, 2013

TUESDAY COFFEE CHAT

 

Hello and welcome to this weeks' Coffee Chat! Thanks Les for providing our inspiration this week!

 

Tuesday April 16, 2013

All Fun and Games. 

What were your favourite board games growing up?  Do you still play?

I spent my childhood at a cottage. My mother would take us as soon as school got out for the summer. We returned the day before school started again. Board games as well as card games were and still are a big part of my life.

Our favourite games were scrabble and bridge. To this day everyone tries to beat my mother at scrabble. My son M actually memorized the dictionary for all of the 2 letter words especially beginning with Q. It was a great day in his world when he beat Grandma.

The other game that glued our family together is bridge. We had marathon bridge games with my father at the helm. We played on the kitchen table and my mother actually called a halt to the game so dinner could be served. It was clear for an hour before we started it again. My niece S actually called the game “Pass”. If Dad didn’t know what to bid he called 3 no trump.

When DH and I travel we always carry the cribbage game as well as Rumikub. We met a wonderful couple from Texas who saw us playing cards and taught us how to play “Hand and Foot”. We played after lunch every day on the cruise.

My grandfather always said “ When you go for a hike, make sure you have a deck of cards with you because if you get lost just sit down and start to play solitaire. You won’t be lost long because someone will come along and tell you to put the black jack on the red queen.”

My daughter H will tell you that she learned to count – ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, jack, queen, king.

To this day we play bridge, cribbage, poker and spite and malice on the computer.