Sunday, October 12, 2014

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My First Home

I have been living in our first home with my husband. It was sheer luck that we even own a home. D H had just started a new job, working for my father. We were living in a 2 bedroom apartment with our daughter H and I was expecting our second child.

While DH was at work and elderly gentleman came in to get a piece of glass to repair a broken window in his house. He got talking to DH while he waited and mentioned that his home was up for sale. It was in the neighbourhood we were looking at. It was 8 blocks away from where D H worked and 6 blocks from where we both grew up.

DH came home and we made arrangements to inspect the house. It is a 6 room closet as I like to tell people. It has 3 bedrooms, one bath and a parking spot in the back. The basement was unfinished and even had the old octopus furnace. DH was impressed with the work bench the gentleman Mr. B had in his basement.

Mrs. B was delighted that I made loving comments about her house when she showed it to me. The middle bedroom was painted hot pink which was H’s favourite colour. We talked to the real estate agent and told him we thought the price was too high. It needed a new furnace and new wiring. We also couldn’t afford more than the minimum down payment and our mortgage would have to be for 30 years.

The agent called us back and said we could have the house. We moved in November 26th, 1976. Since then we have worked to make it suit our lifestyle. We have raised 3 children and put them through school. The house is just the right size for us now.

Next Week’s Prompt: My First School

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.