Here are this week's questions for the Wednesday Hodgepodge...everyone is welcome to play along. Answer on your own blog then scoot back over here tomorrow (that would be Wednesday) to link answers with everybody and their brother. More or less.
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
Living in Canada I got very tired of hearing about “the fiscal cliff”. Why can’t a country as big as the United States not have their economy in order? How can they tell the rest of the world how they should live?
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
The last time I rode I train I went to the Agawa Canyon which is north of Sault Ste Marie in Canada.We also rode the Timber train out of Matawa. That vacation was called trains, boats, automobiles and no planes.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favourite 'flavour'? Favourite topping?
I am not a fan of bagels. I find them to hard to chew. I prefer a muffin. Banana nut is usually my first choice.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
As everyone knows “Gone with the wind” is my favourite movie.
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regards to your own children?
I have never been a fan of separating children by gender or even by ability. Everyone learns at there own pace however everyone also learns from others.
6. What's your favourite thing about staying in a hotel?
We stay in lots of hotels especially since we travel back and forth to see our grandchildren. I love the big beds. At home D H and I share a double bed. When travelling we try for a king size bed or 2 doubles.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
If you are a regular follower of this post then you will know that I use the word “cruise” often. We have 3 cruises booked this year with a total of 70 days on the water.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
The cold weather is back. We had a fabulous weekend where the temperatures actually broke a record. It felt good to dress down however winter’s blast is back and we are bundling again. Just makes us look forward to leaving it behind in less than a month.